Tuesday, December 7, 2010

snow. and community. lots of it.



So it has been snowing on and off for about 2 weeks now. Today we got actual rain, only to be replaced tomorrow and the next by extreme snow. Not going to lie, I'm glad I got my winter tires put on yesterday (it's actually illegal to drive without them after a certain date in Germany). I really love snow and it makes this place look even more beautiful, especially when I go to the Christmas markets. However, I am really noticing the effect the lack of sunshine has on a person, especially when I check out Chattanooga's forecast on my iPhone: sunshine, all day, every day. So go soak it up Chattanoogans! You don't know what you got. :)

I've been really blessed with community lately. It's really rare to find a military base with a good singles ministry, and God has established one here in Bamberg just in time for me to be involved. There are two single soldiers from a unit that just got back from "down range" (war) heading it up and we go to Bible studies at different restaurants each Wednesday, go to lunch after chapel on Sundays, and have various events. This past weekend we took the train to the Nuremberg Christmas market (it's apparently "the famous one"). Above you can see me with two Germans who came along with us and Sarah, my friend who shopped with me as we held our mugs of gluhwein (hot spiced wine) close while also coming incredibly close to freezing to death.

Also involved in the singles group is my friend Jonathan who roomed with Steven (my friend that passed away this past May from leukemia) their freshman year at Covenant. Small world, huh? He just got stationed here, so it's been a blessing to reconnect with him and make friends with his fellow soldiers and have some people to explore the downtown area with. I just feel like God has orchestrated all this community and it's incredible to see His hand in that! He sure does take care of His own. :)

2 comments:

  1. Laura, so so good to hear that! I'm learning that community can really feel like it makes or breaks your experience and how good is God to fulfill that need for us in tangible ways! Praying God continues to bless you in this area!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh gluhwein and christkindlesmarkt!!!! I grew up with all that goodness!! Isn't it such a rich experience?!?!

    ReplyDelete