Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Ten military culture shocks so far

So here are ten things about working on a military base that are different and interesting and mostly awesome so far:

1. As you drive through post, there are banners made by families of soldiers in the 173rd who welcoming them back from "down range" (that's army talk for deployment to the war).

2. Being a single person on a military base is rare. Fortunately, Bamberg's Chapel is working on growing their singles ministry right now. I just went to a singles dinner last night that had a great turnout and I was able to meet single soldiers, contractors, and others and have a great time playing the game "Pit" with them!

3. You have to address people by sir a lot and chaplains as "Chaplain [last name]"

4. At 5pm every day, the retreat is played across post and if you are outside, you must stand facing the flag while it's played. If you're in your car, you stop and get out.

5. An army post is like a little city. It has everything you need: post office, PX (like a walmart), commissary (grocery store), electronics store, bank, flower shop, barber shop, auto shop, movie theater, etc.

6. It takes a long time to get computer access.

7. A lot of military families home school. I met a few awesome girls while helping lead Bible study last week for the first time who were homeschooled. So was I, so we bonded. :)

8. Being on time and going to meetings are very important. So is paperwork.

9. Chapel is not exactly like church.

10. Everything is constantly changing and people are constantly coming and going. I met a middle school girl who really wanted to come to Middle School Adventure camp next spring, but she was PCS-ing (Permanent Change of Station) back to the States and was bummed about not being able to come.

I sent out my new address via email, let me know if you didn't get it and would like it!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite is #4 - I think it's a good thing to daily stop and remember! Love this post...and you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny to see what people notice when they are first introduced to military culture!!! I am glad that you are enjoying your first few weeks!!

    ReplyDelete